Friday, April 25, 2014

Inner transom

Before we can set up the building forms there has to be three things in place.  The transom, the inner stem. and the keelson.    The inner transom is the part that you never see in the boat.  It's behind the decorative wood that you see while trying to catch this boat.  I'll cut out the plywood part of this inner transom prior to gluing on the good wood.  The inner stem is where you attach the hull at the bow.  When all the bottom is on and done I'll attach an outer stem.  That's the chunk that you ram other boats with.  I usually use a real hard wood like cherry for that part.   I'll get over to Annapolis next week and stop in my very expensive wood store and see if I can get some Sitka spruce.  That's for the keelson.  If that's just too expensive I'll get a lesser grade of spruce.  Still does the same work of attaching the transom to the stem.


The big white chunk in the middle is to attach the gudgeons.  Wide enough to accommodate Laser style gudgeons.

No comments:

Post a Comment