Monday, July 28, 2014


I got the two bulkheads fabricated and roughed in.  I used poster board to get a rough fit.  Then transferred the poster board to the wood.  Once the general shape was made it just took constant removal and shaving, replacing until it fit.  I put a 1-1/2 inch arch in the fwd bulkhead. Boat looks good and we are on weight target.

                                                                  Fwd bulkhead
                                                                         Aft bulkhead

Friday, July 25, 2014

Bow shot

Got the bow block roughed in.  Got the aft deck support in and glued in the cb case.

                                                      A little more tweaking on the shear and we're there.

Thursday, July 24, 2014


We are making good progress on the Shelley.  I got the bow block on, the shear carved out and the CB trunk ready to go in.  I got the bow block mahogany from a scrap bin at Bacons the last time I was over there.  The shear was tricky but with the laser lines it came in place nicely.  I used my electric planer.  Once the CB trunk is in I can start fabricating the deck structure and the bulkheads.  I bought some poster board to mock up the curves.  I'll start the curve using one of the building forms closest to the CB case.

                                              I'll get the front of the shear after I cut the stem to fit.

CB cast test fit.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Laser line

When I took the boat off the forms I noticed that the shear wasn't as straight as it was when we mounted it on the forms.  It's a small chunk of wood  and securing it to the forms was tenuous at best.  So it moved when I beat the bottom onto the forms.   I'm going to get it back into shape using a laser.  I'll scribe a line where the red line is and that's the new shear.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Bottom's up

Real progress this week.  The bottom fought but I won.  Hull is ready for interior work.  I'll finish up the bottom after the deck is on.  I'll put a laser on the shear tonight when it's dark to get an exact shear line.  I did this with one other boat and it worked great.   The CB trunk is in process.   The boat at this point weighs 14 pounds.  My target weight is 60 pounds.

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Getting there

I'm slowly getting the bottom together.  It's a dance to get the curve just right.  I think I nailed this one.  Hope the other side matches!!

 I had to beat the panel into submission.  It was like wack-a-mole.  I got one side down then the bumps just popped up some where else.    I got them all.  Going to be a nice boat.

Can never have enough clamps!

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Got a bottom

I managed to fit one panel  to the bottom then I traced the outline on the other panel and to my wonderment it fit the other side...  Most of the time I try to do mirror images they come out backwards.  This  one made it!

                                     I have a lot of fine tuning to do but basically that's the bottom.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014


It's 93 degrees in the garage but I just had to get some work done.  It took about an hour to get the panel fitted.  It will take about another two hours to finish one panel.  Probably why we build mostly in the wintertime!